Take the opportunity to climb Mount Olympus, the mythical home of gods and muses and enjoy canyoning in the beautiful Orlias gorge.
Mount Olympus is the highest mountain in Greece and the second highest mountain in the Balkans, as well as the second highest mountain in the area between the Alps and Caucasus. Its highest summit, Mytikas (or Pantheon as it is also known) that stands tall at 2, 918m, was the home of the twelve gods of Olympus, according to Greek mythology. Mount Olympus, a mountain of worldwide acclaim, boasts rich and interesting biodiversity and the surrounding area is protected as a National Park.
The first time that one visits Olympus is never to be forgotten. The unsurpassed beauty of Greek nature, beautiful scents of the forest, the enchanting humming of birds, the breathtaking steep slopes and the fresh air, all combined create a magical world that carries any hiker to a wonderful dance of emotions. It’s not easy for one to get enough of Olympus because each time it has something new to offer. Our trip will last 4 days. We hope that you’ll join us to share beautiful lifetime memories.
Day 1: Arrival at Litohoro village and ascent to the first refuge
From Macedonia Airport in Thessaloniki we will take public transport to beautiful Litohoro village that is situated at the foot of Olympus. Our hike will begin at Prionia and heading upwards through oak and pine forests, we will reach “Spilios Agapitos” refuge, where we will spend the night. The refuge is situated at an altitude of 2,100m. Our hike is uphill around 3-4 hours based on the pace of an average hiker. Once we reach our destination, we will enjoy our dinner and relax at the refuge.
Day 2: Ascent to the second refuge
We will take the central path towards Zonaria that leads to the Muses Plateau. The hike is uphill and demanding, even though it is not long. It will take us about three hours and we’ll reach a 500m altitude difference from the first refuge. For the rest of the day we’ll be hiking on the Muses Plateau at an altitude over 2,600m and we will attempt to summit nearby peaks Toumba and Prophet Elias. We will spend the night at “Christos Kakalos” refuge at an altitude of 2,648m and have our dinner there. If the sky is clear you will be able to see the beautiful countless constellations that will seem as near as ever!
Day 3: Ascent to Mytikas
And finally the day arrives that we will attempt to summit Mytikas at 2,918m. We will go through Zonaria and Mytikas gully. The scenery is alpine and the gully is somewhat exposed. We might come across some snow remains in Zonaria. Duration of the climb is approximately one and a half hours and the altitude difference is 270m. Before we know it, if all goes well we will be stepping on the highest peak in Greece. On the way down, while discussing our emotions and taking in the joy of success, we will pass by the refuge to collect our belongings and after we rest for a while, we will descend to Laimos and Petrostrounga heading left towards to Koromilιa refuge where we will spend our third night. The descent is magical and the panoramic view is breathtaking. Tonight we definitely deserve our dinner!
Orlias gorge is a well hidden treasure among beautiful surroundings and full of life. Its running waters create stunning falls and natural water slides, forming a beautiful natural playground!
Canyoning is the activity of descending in a gorge while using ropes appropriate for abseiling. It’s a fun activity, but at the same time must take place with care, responsibility and in top safety conditions. Our group leader and the experienced guides of One Step Further will be there to ensure we all have a great, memorable day!
Day 4: Canyoning in Orlias Gorge
From the refuge we collect our belongings and hike for around 40’ to the point where we will enter the gorge. The descent will take around 5 action-packed hours! Get ready for a lot of fun! After we descend we will find ourselves at Dion village where we will rest and leave for the airport.
Next scheduled trip:
1. 25 - 28 August 2017
2. 31 August - 3 September 2017
Passport (or ID for EU citizens), Visa (for non-EU citizens), travel insurance, Medical confirmation
Each participant must bring their own personal equipment and clothing for the hike. Canyoning equipment will be provided on site and is included in the price. A detailed hiking equipment list will be provided upon participation registration, as well as a discount coupon for the purchase of any equipment. A meeting will be held where required equipment will be explained in detail.
€419 per person. This price applies for at least eight (8) participants.
This price includes:
- Proposal for physical preparation program if necessary
- Two instructive hikes before departure
- Group leader by One Step Further and local mountain guides or activity instructors
- Designing - Planning – Execution – Supervision
- Transportation via public transport from Macedonia Airport to starting point and vice versa
- Overnight stay with breakfast and dinner for all nights in mountaineering refuges
- Personal equipment list and assistance for purchase and use
Price does not include:
- Airfare tickets
- Personal hiking and overnight stay equipment
- Travel Insurance (optional)
- Rescue costs
- Personal expenses (drinks, etc.)
Secure your participation in the trip by providing a deposit of €150. This is non-refundable. The remaining €269 must be paid at least 14 days before departure.
All payments can be settled in euro with a bank deposit at the following Bank of Cyprus account:
One Step Further Ltd
IBAN: CY33 0020 0111 0000 0011 0259 9300
Swift BIC: BCYPCY2N
Alternatively, you can pay the deposit with a credit card (VISA, Mastercard, AMEX). All payments can be made in cash or cheque.
Terms and conditions:
- Proposed activities are physically demanding. Adults over 18 years old who are in good physical condition, with determination and serious attitude towards outdoor activities can participate. Instructions by group leader and instructors must be followed strictly.
- Departure times will be strictly followed in order to ensure the smooth execution of the descent schedule
- All participants must sign a personal registration form where they will be asked to list any health problems, so that organizers are aware.
- In the case of bad weather conditions that will prevent participation in a programmed activity, the program will be altered accordingly. This will happen only in the case of severe bad weather conditions that will create safety issues. For example, if there is only light rainfall, activities will take place as planned.
- An equipment list will be provided, followed by an explanatory presentation of the equipment list in time for participants to prepare accordingly.
- One cannot participate in part of the trip.