Escape from everyday routine, get away from the ordinary and join us to experience this exciting activity that is loved by children and adults. Anyone in relatively good physical condition can participate in the course. No prior experience or special skills are required. The course aims to introduce participants to the magical world of climbing and provide them with theoretical and practical knowledge that is necessary in order to be able, after completion of the course to enjoy their favourite activity in maximum safety conditions without supervision by an instructor.
The course mainly takes place in the Diarizos climbing site (Kourtellorotsos) and Inia climbing site (Gerakopetra), in the Pafos district.
Time and place of theoretical and practical lessons may be changed at any time before or during the course for various reasons (I.e. weather, climbing ability of participants, number of participants etc.)
Practical lessons that will be taught:
- Preparation and warm up for climbing
- Basic climbing techniques
- Rope handling, knots & equipment use
- Belaying techniques with various belay devices
- Top rope climbing and belaying
- Lead climbing and belaying
- Climbing as second and belaying the second from a belay point
- Abseiling (Rappeling)
- Single-pitch and multi-pitch climbing
- Creating a belay point and safe retreat
- Safe falling
Theoretical lessons that will be taught:
- Concept, philosophy and evolution of mountaineering and rock climbing
- History of climbing in the various parts of the world
- Introduction to free rock climbing
- The role of physical condition in climbing performance
- The role of mental training in climbing performance
- Getting acquainted with climbing equipment & clothing
- Selection, use and maintenance of climbing equipment
- Communication code between climbing partners
- Basic nutrition guidelines for people who exercise
- Basic principles of First Aid
- Possible hazards in climbing areas and how to face them
- Complete climbing procedure
- Mountaineering ethics and environmental behavior
- Climbing. Just a sport or a way of life?
Next scheduled course:
- 27 March 2018 at 19:00-20:00 (Get Out, Nicosia. First meeting: introduction, climbing history & course arrangements)
- 29 March 18:30-19:30 (Cyprus Climbing Academy, Nicosia: practical session)
- 31 Mar-1 Apr (Gerakopetra climbing site, Pafos district: practice & theory)
- 3 April 18:30-19:30 (Cyprus Climbing Academy, Nicosia: practical session)
- 14-15 Apr (Kourtelorotsos climbing site, Pafos district: practice & theory)
- 17 April 18:30-19:30 (training at the indoor climbing wall of Cyprus Climbing Academy)
- 19 April 18:30-19:30 (training at the indoor climbing wall of Cyprus Climbing Academy)
- 21-22 April (Kourtelorotsos climbing site, Pafos district: practice & theory)
Course cost: € 430
Included in the price:
- Tuition fees
- The use of climbing equipment except climbing shoes
- Free use of indoor climbing wall during the course
- Transportation costs to and from the climbing sites
- Accommodation & food expenses
You can reserve your spot in the course, by depositing a prepayment of € 130.
Balance to be paid:
The balance of €300 must be paid at the beginning of the course in the first meeting.
All payments can be made by cash or checque or by bank transfer in Euro to the following account at Bank of Cyprus
One Step Further Ltd
IBAN: CY33 0020 0111 0000 0011 0259 9300
Swift BIC: BCYPCY2N
The advance payment can be made by credit card (VISA, Mastercard, AMEX).
In case of cancellation the deposit is not refundable. It can be used for participation in a future course within one year from the date of payment.